Tuesday 25 September 2012

Per and Jenkinson are stars! Arshavin and Chamakh to deliver

When I asked how long pundits can ignore us? I didn't quite think after two weeks they will jump on "Arsenal are contenders bandwagon". Prognostics had us behind both Liverpool and Spurs. Now they think we can mix it with the Manchester clubs alongside Chelsea. It's very early days and I genuinely believe Liverpool and Tottenham are both showing some quality in their game and it's not impossible we could finish behind them. Just kidding.


After dominating the champions in their own turf and coming from behind to take a point off them, people have us passed a test we needed to. It's never a matter of a game in September against title favorites and defending champions at their home that will decide your season. Nevertheless we did play well perhaps too well for the result. It still does not mean we are all in all in for the big thing. We have a fine record against Mancini's City. I remember us beating them 3-0 two years ago. Last year we beat them at home after losing away a game we should not have. So it really was bound to be a good game for Arsenal. So to me it was never the biggest of challenges for us. But if it can add a bit of confidence to the side I am happy.

What the game did show was that we have a hell of a defender in Per Mertesacker. One local German football lover and follower told me of his qualities last year but I just was not impressed as what I did see I deemed was never going to be good enough for the premier league. How was I wrong? Against City he was absolutely fantastic. Played brilliantly. When I told my "German expert" he recommended me to watch Argentina vs Germany in the 2010 world cup and after watching that game now I can tell the BFG sure knows how to defend. He lacks pace sure and he isn't that strong despite his big frame. But he compensates with good reading of the game and great positional sense. Add to that he is always so calm and that's so important for a defender. I still think some of his weaknesses can and will be exploited in some games but every gooner will be able to tolerate it if and when it happens. Well Done You BFG.

Another player that caught the eye was Carl Jenkinson. One year ago he never looked like someone who could become a professional footballer. Sad face and bad haircut were probably the most positives traits you could tell about the Jenks. I think we all wanted him to succeed as he is a gooner just like all of us but we believed he would never be capable of playing his trade in this league. What a difference a year makes? Remember Sagna has been the best right back in the league in the lasts 4 to 5 years but I can tell you he won't walk back to the side. He will have to fight very hard to get back to the team and that's the biggest compliment you can give to Little Carl! Well done mate.

Nice one Carlito

Two players I don't have to mention are Arteta and Cazorla. There's just nothing to say about our two Spaniards. They are the THING! So I will leave there.

Tomorrow is Capital one day. Time to see some of the fringe players and some of the better youngsters given chance to shine against Coventry. I am very interested to see Chamakh and Arshavin involved. Two players I believe who must have roles to play if we are to be contenders for the big prizes.



Come on you gunners!



No comments:

Post a Comment